[Gllug] p2p programs

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 05:48:52 UTC 2005

Hi Diana,

I rarely use p2p.

But I use (on such rare) occassions aMule.

LimeWire is a Java based app (cross-platform) that will download most
things very rapidly.

Even faster than LimeWire was WinMX (for Windows only) but which ran
extremely well under Wine. If I had to check a song, I would find it
and download it in seconds.
But their service was stopped not - indefinitely it seems.

Once upon a time, I was a HUGE music buyer, first listening to a track
on p2p and then ordering the CD. I would use p2p to download a missed
TV Documentary or the first 10 minutes of a film I've missed in the
cinema.

But after the paranoia and litigation of the Music Industry:
- suing 12 years old.
- and recently installing trojans on people's machine.
So I don't do neither (download or buy)
Being a good citizen, not breaking the law ...
I boycott commercial CD/DVD's altogether.
The compulsion is still there, but I always stop myself.

Games that require constant re-activation before you play,
Digital Rights Media, that restricts how and where you listen to your product.
Lecture Videos that require a login / password to watch
(and an excellent carrier for viruses and trojans)

The population at large don't mind being treated like criminals.
I do.
I so want to buy that Gorillaz album, but I can't out of protest :(

(sorry if the reply turned into a militant statement)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk