[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Thu Nov 3 10:08:49 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:
> I'm trying to to write a web site. My knowledge of doing so is rather
> old and really rather out of date.

It hasn't changed that much.

> I'm thinking of using css, xhtml, javascript, and php which seams like
> a very large number of different languages to have to mix into one
> item, But such is the web....

That's not unusual.

> I'd like to create a "header" and a "footer" and then strap them on to
> each web page automatically so I don't need to worry about having to
> hand edit the header and footer into each page. Unfortunately xhtml
> does not seam to have any "include" tag so this needs to be done with
> hmm php which is a server side hack and I'd prefer to leave the php
> for the pure interactive bits!

There might be a few people that would take issue with that statement ;-)
I'm not keen on PHP myself (in fact I'd die before I used it), but it's
one and the same idea as any other server-side active page generation -
there's nothing hacky about it. SSI sounds like it might be in order for
basic content inclusion, but if you intend to use the more advanced
features of PHP as well, rather than just the ability to include
components at will, it would be a waste of time adding yet another
technology to your stack.

> I also find the xhtml spec unreadable and not any easier to use than
> the old html ones.

The *HTML specs are probably not a good guide to writing it. I tend to
work from application of common sense and the results of W3C validation,
although this might disagree with some, but when it comes to getting the
job done, having a head full of DTDs and stuff won't help.

> Am I still writing it by hand or are there any better tools nvu looks
> good but still does not seam capable of using css properly. (Amaya is
> not that much better than what I've seen) I would quite like to be
> able to get someone else to write the bodies ones I've got the basic
> design worked out and hence the bodies may have to be written in
> OpenOffice or NVU or something with a nice WYSIWYG gui.

vi :-)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk