[Gllug] portability of adsl connect info

Adam Bower adam at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 10:03:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 09:42:53AM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:

> After doing this I would like to test it. I stronly suspect that plugging the modem
> into another ADSL enabled phone socket would not work since the username/password
> are, somehow, linked to the physical phone # (which is miles away near the seaside).
> Can someone please confirm/deny this.

This is slightly guesswork but...

I think that the phone line is tied to an isp not a specific account
with an isp, I know this from experience the other day when I was
installing some routers at a few different sites as part of an ADSL
rollout using Eclipse as the isp. I managed to configure 2 of the
routers to have the same login details, which confused me for a bit
as the static ip addresses I was getting allocated were "wrong" for
that site.

Anyhow, if it is the same isp connected to both lines then i suspect it
/should/ work. If they are different isps then I have no idea, try it
and let us know :)

Thanks
Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li