[Gllug] gcc compiler versions

TM tm at tm.uklinux.net
Tue Nov 22 14:58:48 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I'm trying to install a piece of software that seems to require a
version of gcc that is older than the one that is installed in the
system (Fedora Core 4). This software is part of a set of simulation
tools. I.e., they are sets of libraries that I call in my own programs.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do in order to have the 2 separate
compiler versions simultaneously on the system please? And how do you
tell a particular application to be compiled with a particular version
of the compiler?

I guess what is really getting to me is that gcc is not really a single
file, but rather a set of programs & libraries. So, I suppose I must
make sure that I'm only using 1 out of the 2 possible gcc sets rather
than a mix of the 2 (which, no doubt, is asking for trouble).

Let me give you an example of my current woes. Here goes the 1st (of
many) error message when I try to compile an example program:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by
/usr/local/share/pi-1.3.6-Lite/lib/liblcg_AIDA_AnalysisFactory.so, not
found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

Here is the version of the library that I actually have installed in the
system:

[tm at curie ~]$ ll /usr/lib/libstdc*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     18 Nov 16 09:53 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 ->
libstdc++.so.6.0.5
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 935092 Jul 27 12:50 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.5

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
TM
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk