[Gllug] FreeBSD problem

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Wed Nov 30 10:09:44 UTC 2005

Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am trying to get a box to run FreeBSD to check out how to sort one
> problem, and have collected another problem on the way. I get repeated
> messages
>
> "inetd[465]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use"
>
>    The same message appears in the logs.
>    I did install ssh, but already have a DNS server, so did not try to load
> DNS server facilities. The networking details have been entered by hand, so
> DHCP is not used. Can someone please offer a hint on what may be causing the
> problem? Thanks.

This has nothing to do with DNS.  The "bind" in the above error is from
inetd complaining that it cannot attach to port 22 (TCP) as the address
is already is use.

inetd is complaining because, the chances are, ssh has been configured
not to run out of inetd and is already running and blocking port 22.

You shouldn't be running ssh from inetd anyway.

Mart.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk