[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:21:22 UTC 2005

On 11/3/05, Dani Pardo <dani at enplater.com> wrote:
> En/na Aaron Trevena ha escrit:
>

> > Oh dear - GLLUG is getting as bad as slashdot in this regard.
>
>   I remember the same flame born here like a year ago.. :)
>
> > Where I work now, we are dealing with large, fairly complex projects
> > with multiple developers using perl without hitting this at all, even
> > without using CS graduates, very experienced developers or even making
> > use of the good practice available and this isn't the case.
>
>   Usually this flame ends with saying that you can write horrible code
> whatever language you use, and that there are no good/bad languages, but
> good/bad programmers.

There are some pretty awful languages about, luckily nobody tries to
make you use them any more, and apart from that it is horses for
courses.

The reason this reoccurs so frequently is that there is always
somebody who doesn't understand how programming works in the real
world or professional environment and has some particular kool-aide
running through their blood stream - this years koolaide is ruby, last
years was python but the python zealots haven't realised their time in
the limelight is over and that they are no longer the cool kids on the
block ;)

> The only point I don't really get nowadays, is talking about object
> oriented Perl.. Perl is an scripting language (wich I really enjoy btw),
> and trying to fit it in a OO model is somehow going agains its nature.. no?

OO was retrofitted to Perl in version 5, it provides some backwards
compatibility to perl 4, and is rather unique in it's unprecedented
flexibility and lack of constraints - which upsets the purists a lot,
and can on very rare occasions be a bit of a draw back. Of course most
OO Perl these days uses the standard CPAN modules for persistance,
generating accessors and the other tedious work so we can have our
cake and eat it.

The only things it makes hard are MMD and overloading, but they aren't
a major concern for most general programming tasks.

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk