[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Nov 3 15:13:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 02:45:38PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> Just take extreme care when writing anything big, 'cos Perl won't
> stop you being undisciplined and your code may sag apart faster than
> yuo can put it together.

Oooh language advocacy!  Let me, let me!!!

Well, I have _personally_ worked on in the last 10 years:

 * GCC (written in C) - hideous, huge, rocket science, yet seems
   to be going from strength to strength

 * a vast spaghetti soup C++ program written by a very highly
   paid outside contractor at enormous cost, which eventually was
   just thrown away

 * a very large (hundreds of thousands of lines was it Dan?),
   well-structured PERL system which was maintainable
   and comprehensible

 * a very large, unstructured, horrible and unmaintainable
   JAVA program, which was also belatedly "retired"

 * a medium-to-large incomprehensible and unmaintainable OCAML
   program written by a PhD student with no apparent former
   experience in programming, with some input from me

Yet I still prefer Ocaml to everything else.  Really it's got very
little to do with choice of language.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.