[Gllug] BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL Modem

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Nov 7 13:47:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:41 +0000, anthony.hill21 at btinternet.com wrote:
> About three weeks ago, I wrote asking for help with getting
> newly-purchased Xandros (Debian 3.1 Sarge based) to work with my BT
> Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem.    My thanks to John Hearns, David Bell,
> Simon Perry and Chris Bell who responded with advice.  I now appreciate
> something of what would be involved in the driver route and think it
> best to look for the get-suitable-hardware solution.
>
> Please would some kind person tell me (i) what type of modem do I need
> to get, (ii) do I need to get a card (ethernet?) to put inside my Dell
> Dimension
Can you tell us which model of Dell this is?
It may already have an in-built ethernet port.
Or it may have a slot for an in-built wireless card (tricky to get
working).
The alternative is to use a card slot and get either a wired ethernet
or a wireless card, or to use a USB adapter.

I would say that the best overall solution would be to get a wireless
card (PCMCIA type). Others can suggest where to shop, they are not
expensive.
Then you need an ADSL access point with wireless, again not much more
expensive than one without.
Oh, and a six pack of beer to drink when you are lounging about outside
with your new wireless connection.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk