[Gllug] BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL Modem

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:55:32 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, anthony.hill21 at btinternet.com <anthony.hill21 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> About three weeks ago, I wrote asking for help with getting
> newly-purchased Xandros (Debian 3.1 Sarge based) to work with my BT
> Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem.    My thanks to John Hearns, David Bell,
> Simon Perry and Chris Bell who responded with advice.  I now appreciate
> something of what would be involved in the driver route and think it
> best to look for the get-suitable-hardware solution.
>
> Please would some kind person tell me (i) what type of modem do I need
> to get, (ii) do I need to get a card (ethernet?) to put inside my Dell
> Dimension and (iii) can I continue to use the Voyager alongside whatever
> new modem I attach to the phoneline?   [As you can tell, I'm so gormless
> I even wonder what 'eth0' means.]
>
> Any (constructive) reply received with gratitude,    Anthony Hill.

Hi Anthony,

I share the pain.
I have a PC Box here from the neighbour and her modem (same as yours)
dangling down.
I tried everything and installed Debian on this machine.
I could give you the pointers but it could just add to more frustration.

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/

The fact that so many wanting to come to Linux and can't because of
stupid idiotic British Telecom ... is short of frustrating.
I feel pretty angry - and even though directly unrelated - I feel like
switching phone providers.

Unlike you, I can't just go and buy a cheap router in this case - all
I am doing is a favour, for free.

I would strongly suggest getting a router for many many reasons.
USB ADSL Modems are just not worth the bother.

I got one myself, it was the old Red Hat 9.0 days ... and finally came
to the conclusion: only a router would keep my sanity intact.

regards

Henry

ps

(i) most routers would do - i got a netgear. but never get an adsl
modem because even if it works, if you change distro or upgrade it
could stop working again.
routers are short of eternal

(ii) I got a Dell Dimension - so probably no - it should come with
ethernet card.
type this on a console.
and copy and paste the result for us:
lspci

(iii) you probably won't be using the modem again.

(iv) eth0 is the code for ethernet card number 0

[someone should explain this better than me]

but in linux devices are almost mnemonic with number 0,1,2,3,4
attached in sequence.

if you have 2 ethernet card it would be eth0 and eth1
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk