[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 14:23:29 UTC 2005

"Russell Howe" <rhowe at siksai.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 02:47:05PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> Dave Cross wrote:
>> >That's a very Unix-centric view of the world. I bet that Perl has been
>> >ported to more operating systems than bash or sh.
>>

>> It's more the view of people who, through no fault of their own, really
>> haven't had to deal with a 24/7 datacentre with a large number of nodes
>> to manage.  Dinky little shell scripts simply don't cut it when you're
>> dealing with heterogeneous environments, especially ones that include
>> Windows.
>
> Hm..
>
> /me looks at the shell scripts doing admin-type tasks on various Windows
> and Linux servers at work...

Just bought "Shell Scripting Recipes" by Chris Johnson, an Apress book.

Partly because it seems to have interesting stuff in it, and partly
because  I have a policy of buying stuff like that from Ottakar's so
they get more of it in.

Remember: if you do it just because you get paid to do it, you're a
professional - just like a hooker :->

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml