[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 21 07:19:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Jim Bailey stated:
> Although the sytem generates power which is brilliant, it still doesn't
> manage to meet the best of the Scandanavian efficiencies where the waste
> heat from power generation is used to heat homes and work places.

The problem with *that* is that you have to get the heat to the homes,
which is difficult if your power plant is out in the middle of nowhere,
as most are (Battersea being a notable exception).

Now call me a NIMBY but I don't *want* a coal or oil-burning plant
nearby because they stink. (Modern gas-fired plants are much less
smelly. Anyone know why?)

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk