[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Mon Nov 21 09:39:29 UTC 2005

On Nov 21, 07:19, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Jim Bailey stated:
> > Although the system generates power which is brilliant, it still doesn't
> > manage to meet the best of the Scandinavian efficiencies where the waste
> > heat from power generation is used to heat homes and work places.
>
> The problem with *that* is that you have to get the heat to the homes,
> which is difficult if your power plant is out in the middle of nowhere,
> as most are (Battersea being a notable exception).
>
> Now call me a NIMBY but I don't *want* a coal or oil-burning plant
> nearby because they stink. (Modern gas-fired plants are much less
> smelly. Anyone know why?)

I agree and when you build a plant like this near existing housing it is
prohibitively expensive to retro fit the homes and offices.  There have
been however quite a few modern buildings in central London where
economies of scale mean generating their own power on site is practical
and cost effective.  Don't quote me but I remember seeing something
about the BBC having a building doing this using a gas powered turbine.

The smell is probably sulphur dioxide, British coal has a very high
sulphur content, apart AFAIK a deposit near Coalbrooke Dale, no suprise
then that the Derby family developed a coal based iron smelting industry
near there.  Later of course puddling technology and eventually the
Bessemer Process increased efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puddling_furnace

Both Calcutta and my childhood had similar smells. :)

--
Peace Jim :-)

keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 I would have made a good Pope.