[Gllug] pervasive computing - everything crashes

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 19:10:43 UTC 2005

On Wed 02 Nov, Martyn Drake wrote:

> Lee, Paul wrote:
>
> > Coming back on the 277 the other night from Highbury, I was
> > "entertained" by an MSDOS prompt.
>
> Funniest thing I saw was a cash machine running OS/2 that had crashed.
> I think it may have been one in Marks & Spencers a few years back..

   One of the cash machine scams involved a loop of plastic film inserted
into the card slot and a miniature camera hidden above the keypad. The
machine would ask for the PIN but because it was unable to read the magnetic
stripe, report that it had crashed and just stop. The camera output was
relayed by a radio link to a nearby receiver, often in a parked vehicle, and
the card could be retrieved by pulling out the loop of plastic after the
owner had given up waiting and walked away.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk