[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Nov 3 23:57:47 UTC 2005

Stephen Harker wrote:
> Aaron Trevena wrote:
>> Then you really aren't much use as a sysadmin or programmer IMHO.
>
> Can you please elaborate as to why you think this rather than just
> foaming. I'd be interested.

I won't say I agree with Aaron but Perl is an essential sysadmin tool.
It's all very well people who say "Oh I can just write a shell script"
and, for a lot of stuff, that works fine.

However when you are writing stuff that's going to be running on N
different operating systems shell scripting becomes less portable.
Supposing your favourite shell isn't available, what do you do then?

Writing in perl is portable.  I've written stuff that's run
simultaneously on 5 different operating systems, Windows being one of
them.  I'm not saying that's impossible with shell scripting, but it's
very easy with perl.

"Well I'll write a perl script that can....." is a very reassuring start
to an answer at interview time for a sysadmin role.

I would be _really_ wary about hiring a sysadmin who doesn't write perl.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk