[Gllug] canon mp360

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 01:07:58 UTC 2005

On 11/3/05, Diana Scott <dianascott1 at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Henry
>
> I don't mean to question your advice. I just try to understand the reasons
> to install different files to get the printer working.

hey not to worry at all :)

> Thank yo for your help. Now I understand a little better but I still can't
> get my canon mp360 printer to work. I have been following yourinstructions
> but I couldn't find the driver file that said SmartBase or MP360 or just
> starting with MP..

In Japan the name of drivers are different.
Hence there is no MP860 but I think the model that relates to that is 860
there is a correlation like that.

Canon Europe didn't bother giving us a repository
But we found out - the Japanese worked at that part.

> Now I understand why linux is difficult.

In fact it is not meant to be.
But nasty companies like Canon, Lexmar etc
don't help sometimes despite many open-source developers
pleading and emailing them to release drivers for Linux.

Not only developers sometimes even customers.

Sometimes even petitions are made with over 10'000 signatures and nothing :(

> On a different problem, I have typed in xine in yast and only network
> service xinetd came up. My intention was to set the jukebox to play mp3
> files but I couldn't find w32codescs file.

try xine-ui

> Do you think I should enable the xinetd settings?

xinetd (the service daemon)  is unconnected with xine the movie player
names are similar thou
but enable xinetd - i think its one of those services that should
always be switched on.

> I am not sure.
>
> Please advise.

I seriously wished I could help more with the Canon printer.
But often we are stuck on things like that.
The Linux folks try their best often even reverse engineering
or attempting incredible feats of programming like ndiswrapper
(which basically "emulates" MS-Windows to force some Windows-only
drivers to work)

It's sad, some think its embarrasing, but its not Linux fault.
Luckily having said that - there are more and more company becomnig
more and more Linux friendly offering downloads for Linux drivers.

Or even cooperating with developers making the source open,
so things works easier and perfectly.

Maybe that day we all works out of the box is coming soon.

regards

Henry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk