[Gllug] p2p programs

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 17:57:22 UTC 2005

how about I change it to a request:
find me a person with a bad experience
he got hacked browsing the web.

the libpng is one of dozen perfectly exploitable libraries
but how about one incident?

sure people are going to say it falls down to numbers.

i would like to see a demo even.
i remember this chinese guy writing a website
about 44 ways to hack your Internet Explorer
(that was about 2 years ago, I am sure MS patched most by now)

Now that was incredible - and scary
Suddenly I get a message box saying
"A code has now been executed"
when all I did was just to visit the site.

Man even the bash forking script was something neat
when i first tried - that was scary
(it never got any publicity though)

But hey not one horror story to teel from Desktop Linux?
What about an online demo?

> You refuse to accept that your "Linux Desktop" will be exploitable

Oh do I?
I rather focus on the "present"

I never said "it will never be exploitable"
In fact the most probable way would be via some Plugin:
Flash or even JRE.

But hey that is just speculation, theories.
Constructing scenarios is not my thing.
I prefer that Chinese approach.

Even Phishing was demonstrated online
Affecting most browsers

Later on I will search myself for an actual demo online.
After all they've done it once
Demonstrating the art of Phishing - affecting most modern browsers
independant of OS (including Firefox, Konqueror, Opera)

Hence
there must be a "Hey Look this code has just fired in your Linux box"
out there
.. by some clever Chinese right?

/// comparing Linux Desktop with Windows Desktop ////
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk