[Gllug] Small rant

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Nov 8 09:01:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 08:15 +0800, Richard Cohen wrote:

> Honestly, one of the hardest things for non-techies (i.e. my parents)
> to get about computers is that no, you cannot just keep using it with
> current software until it breaks.  For a long time, people were fed
> with metaphors like "the software is like a video cassette, and the
> hardware is like the VCR" which just doesn't stand up - yes, your
> computer bought 5 years ago will keep running the same software until
> it dies, but you can't just put today's software in it and expect it
> to work - they honestly don't see the difference between today's beige
> box and one from 5 years ago.  We see inside the box, all they see is
> beige :-)
Ah! I get it!  So you are saying that labelling operating systems as 95,
98, 2000, 2003 is a GOOD thing (*)
Hoist by your own petard...

Seriously, I agree with what you say.
Maybe we need number plates on the outside of the boxes.
TW05 TUX (made in Taiwan in early part of 2005)

(*) come to think of it....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk