[Gllug] promptless logins

Jack Richards jack.richards at gnu-solutions.com
Fri Nov 11 13:07:41 UTC 2005

Okay, I give up......

I've been hacking around a new SuSE 10 system today and for the life of me can't get the telnet daemon to allow a specific user to login without a password or prompt.

The user in question can login with a null password, but I don't want to be prompted for the password ( just so I can press the enter key ).  I know this will cause a lot of comments about how insecure this is, however its not my system and it's to replace something that already functions like this and changing it would cause more hassle than its worth.

Does any one know how to do this.  I've tried pam.d/login ( but might not have tried the right things ) and it will accept a null password ( with nullokay ), but I just can't get it to turn off the password prompt ( and the password action ). Help !

The only other thing I can think of is to recompile telnetd with its own auth subsystem and not use it with pam.  But that would be nasty.

All answers greatly appreciated.

Jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk