[Gllug] Gimp print experiences

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 01:36:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 00:31 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt writes:
>
> >So, out of curiosity, has anyone else seen this sort of thing, or had
> >similar experiences with Gutenprint? I'm hoping it's just a result of
> >the driver for the R300 print engine not being quite up to snuff yet
>
> That'd be my guess. Certainly with my Stylus Photo EX (6 ink, photo
> quality A3 printer), I get great quality output -- good colour matching,
> crisp edges, and vibrant colours. Dithering is very slightly visible on
> large patches of pale colours, but that's true of the Windows driver for
> the same printer, too. Overall, I'm very impressed.

That's good to hear. Looking on the dev list, there do seem to be a few
complaints about the R200/R300 producing dark/green output, and I've
just noticed a patch checkin as of 3 days ago, so I guess I'll just wait
for it to filter into Debian and print from a CF card in the meantime
(being far too lazy to build it myself - that's what Debian does to
you :-)).

I'm really looking forward to actually getting colour management in the
next version of GIMP - getting reliable output always feels a bit hit &
miss at the moment.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk