[Gllug] partition table screwup

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Nov 2 07:21:34 UTC 2005

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> I tend to partition my home machine up into slices - I currently have 7.
> I don't really feel the need to resize - most of my space gets allocated
> under /home, and having the others separate makes various tasks (like
> backup) easier. The / partition very rarely changes, and gets backed up
> less than /usr, which gets backed up less than /home. I figure restoring
> the system from an old backup and having to apt-get upgrade isn't that
> much work, but I'm rather risk averse with stuff under /home, which
> includes a lot of personal data I couldn't reconstruct in the absence of
> backed up copies.

Ditto - after a lot of painful disk failures, I always separate /boot,
/, /var, /usr, swap and everything else.  Depending on the purpose of
the machine disk space then goes in /data, /var/spool, /var/local,
/usr/local or whatever.

Certainly for machines you don't care about putting everything
everything on one partition makes sense, but if there is anything there
you might want to recover one day, then splitting the disk up can really
help.

d.

--
http://adju.st/
Cricket is not the new football. It is the new cricket, which is a
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk