[Gllug] p2p programs

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Mon Nov 14 00:47:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 12:24:03AM +0000, Henry Gilbert wrote:
> On 11/14/05, will <will at willj.net> wrote:
> > Henry Gilbert wrote:
> > > browsing the net as root or non-root will hardly make a difference
> > > apart from increasing one's paranoia.
> >
> > "Bollocks!"
>
> says Michael Robertson
> ... and yet Windows users are root by default.

Not true. You have to specifically set up a user account to have Administrator
priviledges. You can just as easily create a "normal" (non-administrative)
account which is allowed to do not much; often not even install software (hence
the existence of the Power User group).

In fact, you couldn't really even say it was true about Win95/98/ME systems, as
there was no *concept* of a "root"/normal user split - the individual had
complete control over their own machine.

> You have to drill to the home user about enabling Firewall and extra
> applications:
> what do they use these days? ZoneAlarm? Spyware Removal something.
> Frankly a chore.

Right, and for that matter you could also tell the home Linux user to enable
firewalling. As such, it's no more a chore on Linux as it would be on Windows.

> MS might be trying to get their act together now - when it comes to security.
> Copying a lot of things native to *NIX systems
> But of what I recall Windows specially for business as well as
> individuals has been a recurring nightmare.

I run Windows on my departmental machine. It runs McAffee which is
automatically updated from a central server so I don't have to touch it.
Windows Updates are downloaded automatically (but I install them manually). I
use Firefox for web browsing. I have had absolutely no problems with it
whatsoever.

Dan
--
Earn cash in your spare time -- blackmail your friends
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk