[Gllug] p2p programs

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 00:24:03 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, will <will at willj.net> wrote:
> Henry Gilbert wrote:
> > browsing the net as root or non-root will hardly make a difference
> > apart from increasing one's paranoia.
>
> "Bollocks!"

says Michael Robertson
... and yet Windows users are root by default.

> I think it's greatly up to the user of the system.
>
> Stig

I beg to disagree.
Most people just want to enjoy the internet.
But I do recall the catch 22 situation - install Windows
activate it - and get infected before you have a chance to install an
Anti-Virus.

You have to drill to the home user about enabling Firewall and extra
applications:
what do they use these days? ZoneAlarm? Spyware Removal something.
Frankly a chore.

I remember the Melissa virus outbreak
crippling the industry.

MS might be trying to get their act together now - when it comes to security.
Copying a lot of things native to *NIX systems
But of what I recall Windows specially for business as well as
individuals has been a recurring nightmare.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk