[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Sun Nov 20 17:54:30 UTC 2005

Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Chris Bell spake:
>>    The disposal of spent fuel in a geological subduction zone does seem like
>> a good idea, although the Americans decided to try dropping a number of fuel
>> containers into a salt deposit where they would melt their way down through
>> the salt. They started to bottom out at the same level and go critical, so
>> had to be recovered in a hurry.
>
> That's the nice thing about dropping waste in a marine subduction
> trench. Even if it does go critical (it's unlikely that two would land
> so close to each other given currents on the way down), who cares?

Isn't that what we sort-of did with the chemical weapons that We Didn't Develop?
Somewhere at the bottom of the Irish Sea, waiting for the right time...

Anyway, are you reading a David Brin novel at the moment? one of the
Uplift ones has this (dropping in marine subduction trench) as a
standard disposal algorithm...

>>    I have a few handouts from exhibitors at political party conferences,
>> including CEGB, BNFL, and Nyrex. The staff were enthusiastic, and felt that
>> it was safe to have some waste storage under a few feet of water. Probably
>> true if you can build containment pools which do not leak.
>
> ... or crack over hundred-year spans, ooops.

Or be abused by someone with a Big Idea.

Or get lost.

Or - *how* many f'ups do we know about from the Nuclear Industry so far?

cheers, Rich,

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk