[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Nov 20 17:22:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Chris Bell spake:
>    The disposal of spent fuel in a geological subduction zone does seem like
> a good idea, although the Americans decided to try dropping a number of fuel
> containers into a salt deposit where they would melt their way down through
> the salt. They started to bottom out at the same level and go critical, so
> had to be recovered in a hurry.

That's the nice thing about dropping waste in a marine subduction
trench. Even if it does go critical (it's unlikely that two would land
so close to each other given currents on the way down), who cares?

>    I have a few handouts from exhibitors at political party conferences,
> including CEGB, BNFL, and Nyrex. The staff were enthusiastic, and felt that
> it was safe to have some waste storage under a few feet of water. Probably
> true if you can build containment pools which do not leak.

... or crack over hundred-year spans, ooops.

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
 freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk