[Gllug] Epson scanner setup

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 20 16:27:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an Epson Scanner with SANE, and having minimal
success thus far. I was hoping someone out there has doen this before,
and could point out what's needed...

I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX620 (all in one device), and I've
installed the current version of sane in Debian unstable. The
recommended sane backend for this is the "epkowa" backend, which is part
of the libsane-extras package.

Running "sane-find-scanner" gives:-

<snip>
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0811 [USB2.0 MFP]) at libusb:1:4
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
</snip>

However, "scanimage -L" throws an error with "no scanners identified".

With debug logging on, using "export SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=128", running
scanimage -L shows:-

<comments snipped>

[epkowa] sane_init, >usb<
[epkowa] attach_one_usb()
[epkowa] SANE EPKOWA Backend 1.16.0-3 - 2005-06-29
[epkowa] attach(, 3)
[epkowa] attach: opening
[epkowa] attach_one_usb(libusb:1:4)
[epkowa] SANE EPKOWA Backend 1.16.0-3 - 2005-06-29
[epkowa] attach(libusb:1:4, 3)
[epkowa] attach: opening libusb:1:4

<more comments snipped>

[epkowa] sane_get_devices()

[epkowa] sane_exit

I'm running 2.6.14, with the scanner supported by libusb. The sane docs
(such as they are) suggest that the backend should automagically find
supported devices. Looking at the source code for the libsane-extras
package, the device ID is listed:-

<snip>
  0x810,                        /* PM-A900 / Stylus Photo RX700 */
  0x811,                        /* PM-A870 / Stylus Photo RX620/RX630 */
  0x814,                        /* PM-A700 */
</snip>

The epkowa backend does want binary firmware for some models, but not
mine, so I don't think that can be the problem either.

Anyway, I'm now officially stuck, and the SANE documentation is not very
coherent about troubleshooting this sort of thing at all. If anyone has
got something like this working before, or can shed any light, it'd be
much appreciated.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk