[Gllug] p2p programs

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:35:07 UTC 2005

On 14/11/05, Henry Gilbert <henry.gilbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I was so security laxed how come I am aware of all the terminology
> and rootkit-finders ... I am not a sysadmin for sure.

I don't know. Maybe you have just enough knowledge to put up a
half-assed argument.

> I did agree that extra vigilance is to be encouraged.
> I assured the original poster that Desktop Linux has had greater
> security records than Windows. Even Mac OS has had better security
> records.
> That was my heresy,
> Dear firewalled/AV-protected/spyware-blocked Windows user
> Hence save your preaching to someone else and <joke>RTFP</joke>

That is a huge presumption to make. Why do you assume I use Windows? I
haven't used Windows on the desktop since around 2001 (apart from
occasional office use).

I don't use Windows because I find the technology in Linux better, and
also I value the freedoms that it provides. I don't want to be locked
into a monopolistic system and I like choice.

Also the Windows user interface is incredibly intrusive and annoying (IMHO)

However - You shouting on a mailing list "Windows is shit because of
problem X Y and Z, Linux does not have these problems" and then
blindly ignoring any opinion to the contrary gives me the impression
you don't really have the full picture.

I agree that a new computer user is a lot better off on Linux than
Windows.  I don't agree with your blind optimism that Linux users will
never get problems.

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com