[Gllug] p2p programs

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:37:15 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that a new computer user is a lot better off on Linux than
> Windows.  I don't agree with your blind optimism that Linux users will
> never get problems.

Don't put words in my mouth.
I never said that.
It's easier for you to be binary about the subject
and pidgeon-hole me into absolutes:
ie 100% safe, never-get-problems etc.

I've installed Ubuntu Linux to a group of young webdesigners in Spain.
Then one day - they were all happy about how Linux is superb as a
webserver and all.
They've signed up with some ISP that offered Linux as a webserver.
Then Two months later, they phone at 1am saying their Fedora Linux got
badly hacked.

A simple browse at webdesigning forums will tell you of similar stories.
In fact, it _seems_ more Linux webservers get hacked than Windows
because of lack of expertise and utter negligence of new admins.
When was the last time an ASP application suffered similar wide-spread exploit?
And yet PHP Bulletin Boards is plagued with recurring risks.

All I was eliciting is a similar story of a Linux User, a
non-administrator that encountered a similar fate.
That was exploited and rootkitted by visiting a website.
That had his machine compromised by some DOS attack + buffer overflow
+ intrusion + scalation + system taken hostage.
That has happen many many times in Windows.

Now if you want to interpret and translate my request
into a statement: "Linux is 100% safe Hoorah!!" -
then its hard to talk to you
you are being as obtuse as the real ones that believe such things.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk