[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Nov 3 15:00:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 03:13:21PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 02:45:38PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> > Just take extreme care when writing anything big, 'cos Perl won't
> > stop you being undisciplined and your code may sag apart faster than
> > yuo can put it together.
>
> Oooh language advocacy!  Let me, let me!!!
>
> Well, I have _personally_ worked on in the last 10 years:
>
>  * GCC (written in C) - hideous, huge, rocket science, yet seems
>    to be going from strength to strength
>
>  * a vast spaghetti soup C++ program written by a very highly
>    paid outside contractor at enormous cost, which eventually was
>    just thrown away
>
>  * a very large (hundreds of thousands of lines was it Dan?),
>    well-structured PERL system which was maintainable
>    and comprehensible

Yep, it was on the verge of hundreds of thousands at least.

>  * a very large, unstructured, horrible and unmaintainable
>    JAVA program, which was also belatedly "retired"

And that the Java program code was in fact a re-write of the original
stuff in TCL, which was unstructured & horrible, but is  still going
strong - primarily because although it was not "formally engineered"
it was "good enough" for real-world usage.

Regards,
Dan.