[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:45:02 UTC 2005

On 11/4/05, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Aaron Trevena murmured woefully:
> >> Just take extreme care when writing anything big, 'cos Perl won't
> >> stop you being undisciplined and your code may sag apart faster than
> >> yuo can put it together.
> >
> > Oh dear - GLLUG is getting as bad as slashdot in this regard.
>
> Well, it's simply my experience that it takes more effort to write
> maintainable perl than to write non-maintainable perl, and that a lot
> of people aren't willing to put in that effort :/

I don't think this is true for any programmer worth hiring - i.e.
having at least bothered to read learning perl and the cookbook.

> > Where I work now, we are dealing with large, fairly complex projects
> > with multiple developers using perl without hitting this at all, even
> > without using CS graduates, very experienced developers or even making
> > use of the good practice available and this isn't the case.
>
> You are working with some very very good people then: probably people
> who care about long-term maintainability and take pride in their work.
> Alas, I have never worked anywhere that has more than a smattering
> of such people.

nonsense - most of the staff here are junior, several don't even have
degrees in computer related fields and long term maintainability of
projects isn't a priority.

either you have programmers who can do their job to an acceptable
standard or not, this is why you interview, ask for cpan code and do
perl tests - if you don't have anybody who knows what they are doing
then inevitably you have the blind leading the blind and you would end
up with unmaintainable trash in Java, or even ruby.

> > There is not point talking to some of the irrational zealots on this
> > list, but mud does occasionally stick and it's better to correct these
> > nonsense myths and the idle speculation of people who couldn't code a
> > CPAN module.
>
> It's not a `nonsense myth', it's *derived directly from my personal
> experience*. Anecdotal, sure, but not mythical.

The nonsense is that perl is to blame for you working with people who
aren't fit for the job. Don't do that, and don't blame perl if you
have to work with idiots!

A.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk