[Gllug] Backing up an elderly MySQL database

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 13:33:15 UTC 2005

On Thu 10 Nov, Chris Bell wrote:

> Hello,
>    I am trying to do a complete backup of a MySQL database, complete with
> all permissions, etc, to a standby machine. The preferred option would be a
> total backup every day. The original is MySQL 3.2.32 on FreeBSD 3.2
>    I have found installation CD ISO images of FreeBSD 4.10 4.11 5.3 5.4 and
> 6.0 and have discovered that FreeBSD 6.0 offers MySQL 3.23.59 4.0.25 4.1.13
> and 5.0.9_1
>
>    I guess that the backup should be made to a machine running a compatible
> version, and any upgrade to the latest stable version undertaken as a
> separate process.
>
>    I am totally new to BSD, and have not used MySQL before, so any hints
> would be welcome. The MySQL website carries details of recent database
> versions, but very few details about early versions.

   Thanks for the replies so far.

   I am reading through the MySQL manual at the moment, and there do seem to
have been some database and/or grant table changes, but some tools are
provided to cope. I have to discover as soon as possible a minimum list of
steps that I must follow, and clear details about the latest versions of
MySQL and FreeBSD which can be used to accept the data dumps. The existing
database is on a production machine which is showing signs of its age, and
it is due to be moved to a new site, so must be backed up ASAP.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk