[Gllug] Re: Backing up an elderly MySQL database

Craig Millar gllug at craigmillar.org
Thu Nov 10 12:20:13 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05 11:58 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I am trying to do a complete backup of a MySQL database, complete with
> all permissions, etc, to a standby machine. The preferred option would be a
> total backup every day. The original is MySQL 3.2.32 on FreeBSD 3.2
>    I have found installation CD ISO images of FreeBSD 4.10 4.11 5.3 5.4 and
> 6.0 and have discovered that FreeBSD 6.0 offers MySQL 3.23.59 4.0.25 4.1.13
> and 5.0.9_1

mysql has decent replication capabilities - there's a good starting article
on this here: http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/16/MySQLian.html

Of course, on the backup machine you'll still have to stop the replication
slave and do a mysqldump cos whatever happens to the master is replicated
almost instantly, including dropping a db by mistake or any other calamity! I
think in that article there is reference to accomplishing this.

hth
Craig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk