[Gllug] p2p programs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Nov 13 22:40:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Martin A. Brooks uttered the following:
> Exploits can happen, will happen and do happen because it's humans
> writing the code and humans are fallible.

... and because they're writing in C or C++ or something like that,
rather than a language in which the buffer overflow is a meaningless
phrase.

>                                            At some point this
> exploitable code will be on your "Linux Desktop" therefore your "Linux
> desktop" is exploitable.

Servers or no, indeed: web browsers seem to have a *lot* of security
holes, because it's their *job* to download data off untrusted sites
and feed it through a lot of rather complex code. Bugs in that code
often become exploits :(

--
`Holy Google, pray for us sinners now and in the hour of our job interview.'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk