[Gllug] Why are ISPs so stupid?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Nov 17 16:08:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> Turns out, they hadn't paid their bill.  I'm sure they're not the only
> organization where this kind of thing happens from time to time.
>
> So why don't ISPs keep the line connected but redirect every port 80
> connection to a page saying "you've been disconnected because you
> didn't pay your bill"?  Would it really be that hard?  Surely it would
> save them some support calls...

Because the customer may well be using an external proxy and so not see
the messages. Similarly they may simply not take notice whereas blocking
their line completely sends a clear message - pay up if you want service.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       2Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk