[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 11:42:21 UTC 2005

Peter Childs writes:

>I'm thinking of using css, xhtml, javascript, and php which seams like
>a very large number of different languages to have to mix into one
>item, But such is the web....

Avoid XHTML. It gives you nothing over HTML4 other than bloat and
buzzword compliance (and has a few downsides with current browsers).
Avoid JavaScript unless you *really* need it (and I doubt you do).
That leaves you with a simple site in HTML and CSS.

>I'd like to create a "header" and a "footer" and then strap them on to
>each web page automatically so I don't need to worry about having to
>hand edit the header and footer into each page. Unfortunately xhtml
>does not seam to have any "include" tag so this needs to be done with
>hmm php which is a server side hack and I'd prefer to leave the php
>for the pure interactive bits!

You need to use some kind of server side processing for this. If all
you're doing is including a header/footer, then SSI will probably
suffice:

	<!--#include virtual="/header.html" -->

	Insert your content here...

	<!--#include virtual="/footer.html" -->

If you're using PHP already for other things, then use that instead:

	<?php require_once("/header.html"); ?>

	Insert your content here...

	<?php require_once("/footer.html"); ?>

>Am I still writing it by hand or are there any better tools nvu looks
>good but still does not seam capable of using css properly.

Personally, I find the most productive web development tool ever
created to be vi. YMMV.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk