[Gllug] Sharing Internet via Serial Cable

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 12:07:10 UTC 2005

Hi thanks everyone for the replies.

I think the Packard Bell Easy Note accepts PCMCIA

I almost  bought a USB WIFI (remembering that this was how they
connected to the internet)
But I am trying not to spend money on something that I am not being paid for.

... The lady already weeped how poor she was,  being a single mother
and all that ... whilst living in Chelsea, girl goes to public school,
and having a second house in France;
... yaaa one is ootterly goolible :P

What is very worrying is the power lead - I think the electrical power
supply is very loose, bad contact .. but I don't know how to get
inside the case to fix that. I tried.
I can't send it to fix it cos it will cost me money.

I admit that at times I feel like binning the machine myself.

But Slack is working so well now - it looks really fast and slick.
First time I installed Slackware ever.
The laptop really belongs to the daughter of this lady, some kid aged
9-12 whom I never met

So I thought instead of thrashing it - I am trying my best to recover
it running Linux.
Then add extra girlie + educational things on the machine; so her
friends can be jealous.
It already looks pretty dashing with that Winter Theme background by Ayo
http://ferneaux.com/wallpaper/winter_theme_1.jpg
I want to expand on that.

I will look into the various options presented here.
But somehow I think priority is making sure power lead is 100% working
- so machine doesn't halt in front of her - which was the case in the
past. Even corrupting hard-drive.
And then yes, if that carries on happening - they will bin it.

I will feel pretty good if I can revamp this troubling laptop and give
it back to her with Linux installed.

After all, I've never been to the South France :D

thanks again for the suggestions, I will try all avenues suggested.

regards

HG

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk