[Gllug] OT new graphics card compatibility

Adam Bower adam at thebowery.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 00:15:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 05:05:09PM +0000, will wrote:

> My questions are:
>
> - If I buy an AGP 8x card and my PC only has an AGP slot less than '8x',
> will it still work, just a bit slower.
>
> - How do I tell the speed of the AGP slot on my motherboard?

Best thing to do is read this page
http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html and also try
telling us the motherboard chipset (lspci will be your friend) as this
will be what will tell you what the chipset is and works with after a
bit of googling. (i think your existing card is an AGP 4x part, so you
can use an AGP 8x part but it will need to understand the 1.5V
signalling... or like was suggested earlier buy a pci card)

Thanks
Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem