[Gllug] OT: umbrella companies for contract work

James McGuigan james at earthemergency.org
Thu Nov 3 18:41:54 UTC 2005

I know this isn't strictly Linux related, but more of a general working in the IT
field type of question :-)

After recently leaving a permanent web development role, I've been offered a 2 month
contract job, via an employment agency to do web scraping and template building.

The employment agency has said they can't pay me as a sole trader (they are worried
I'd simply avoid paying tax) so I either need to have my own limited company or would
need to join an umbrella company.

>From the looks of things, an umbrella company seems cheaper and less hassle in the
short term (At least to start with). I wanted to ask if there where any that you guys
(and girls?) have used in the past and would recommend and are good value for money,
and any that I should stay clear of.

--
Rules are written for those who lack the ability to truly reason,
But for those who can, rules become nothing more than guidelines,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk