[Gllug] OT: umbrella companies for contract work

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Nov 4 09:41:44 UTC 2005

James McGuigan wrote:
>> From the looks of things, an umbrella company seems cheaper and
>> less hassle in the
> short term (At least to start with). I wanted to ask if there where
> any that you guys (and girls?) have used in the past and would
> recommend and are good value for money, and any that I should stay
> clear of.

A limited company really isn't much hassle, especially if you are going
to be contracting for more than this period.  A decent accountant should
also be able to help avoid you paying IR35, which can be quite a big
saving - certainly enough to cover the cost of the accountant.

On the whole it's actually quite tax efficient anyway, which can make it
well worth your while.  If you are interested, let me know offlist, and
I can give you my accountant's details.

Also, check out the PCG, as Simon recommended.  Apart from anything
else, with membership you get insurance against any IR35 investigations,
which is worth the price of membership on it's own.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk