[Gllug] Web Site Creation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 01:10:59 UTC 2005

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005, Tethys spake:

> Nix writes:
>
>>> I guessed you and tethys would rather starve on the streets than
>>> use it ;)
>>
>>Tet that might apply to. I do a lot of small jobs in /bin/sh, but
>>anything involving complex data manipulation where scsh is not
>>available, and anything involving stuff which CPAN can do for me,
>>I use Perl for.
>
> No, I'm remarkably similar to you in that I'll use it where appropriate
> but don't much like doing it[1]. "Appropriate" in my case almost invariably
> boils down to "there's something already in CPAN that does 90% of the work".

Indeed. This is almost always the case, so I end up doing an awful lot
in Perl. :)

> Although even then, getting CPAN to throw away its assumptions that it's on
> an Internet facing machine is problematic for actually deploying it onto
> a production machine (to be fair, it's been a few years since I've done so,
> so maybe it's improved).

Not much. You need to chase dependencies by hand, at least, and it's
easier just to not use CPAN for more than constructing upgrade lists in
such situations.

> [1] Mostly. Where I have to work with someone else's perl, rather than
>     my own, *then* I'd rather pull out my fingernails :-)

Agreed, especially if I'm in a situation where I can't set PERL5LIB
and/or aren't allowed to unpack extra CPAN modules *anywhere*. Yes of
*course* I like using your 1980s-vintage Perl 4 installation,
sir. There's nothing quite like it.

>                                                            To quote Chris
>     Wareham: I have scratched Perl from my CV because there is fuck all
>     job satisfaction in fixing endless streams of Perl gibberish produced
>     by talentless muppets.

I don't think Perl's on my CV, but that's 'cos I last updated it in, oh,
2000. I expect it'll need a near-complete rewrite...

--
`Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk