[Gllug] Most Recent File

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Nov 25 16:30:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 03:59:52PM +0000, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> Why don't we like find?

I'm not speaking for anyone else, but _I_ don't like 'find(1)' because
the syntax is verbose, difficult, and not very Un*x-like.

It makes easy things unnecessarily hard, for example finding files
newer or older than a certain date.

The -exec syntax is broken and insecure, so you almost always have to
use find ... -print | xargs, which will also be buggy because you
forget to use -print0 / -0.

You need to write 'find .' on BSD, vs GNU which lets you get away with
just 'find'.

Various parts of the syntax seem to be chosen deliberately to conflict
with the shell, particularly \( \) and the aforementioned -exec.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk