[Gllug] open source codes for video streaming

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Nov 25 14:36:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 02:19:18PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> On 25/11/2005, "Minty" <mintywalker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >yeah, but I'm specifically after ones that have earned their stripes
> >in the field already.
>
> Erm, well I don't think any of the truly free codecs are that
> tried-and-tested yet.  MPEG certainly is, and there are free
> implementations, but these are patent-encumbered.
>
> I've heard good things about Ogg Theora, but haven't used it.

It is obviously not as tried at tested as MPEG/WMV/MOV, but it is
certainly viable to use OGG+Theora for providing video streams.
For example, the team producing the Red Hat magazine, now provide
OGG streams (alongside quicktime & realplayer) for all videos
linked from redhat.com. I'm not sure how it compares with others
for the bandwidth/quality ratio at different resolutions, but
iti s certainly reasonable for many scenarioes, eg

  http://www.redhat.com/magazine/012oct05/features/bea/

Regards,
Dan.