[Gllug] p2p programs

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Nov 13 13:27:25 UTC 2005

Henry Gilbert wrote:
> Linux is indeed safe and I've never came across anyone infected by a
> trojan or a virus in Linux.

Then you haven't looked very hard.  Badly patched Linux boxes are as
easy to compromise as badly patched Windows boxes.

> All in all, it is extremely safe browsing the net using Desktop Linux.

Providing you do so as an ordinary user, and not root.

> There is no known succesful exploits that I am aware of.

"Results 1 - 10 of about 846,000 English pages for linux root exploits.
(0.26 seconds)"

> You often get security advisories (as the community constantly revise
> the code);

You only get security advisories if you subscribe to the relevant
mailing lists or keep watching the appropriate web sites.

> (I keep saying "Desktop" ... when it comes to Servers - the picture
> changes completely. You get self-propagating worms, successful hacks,
> etc)

You're confused.  There's no such thing as a "linux desktop" or "linux
server".  It's a computer system with GNU/Linux installed.  A developers
"desktop" is likely to have many "server" programs installed making as
vulnerable as any other "server". Where are you drawing the line?

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk