[Gllug] p2p programs

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 12:45:22 UTC 2005

Hi Diana,

Linux is indeed safe and I've never came across anyone infected by a
trojan or a virus in Linux. I still think Desktop Linux viruses is
theoretically impossible; trojans is a different matter as long as use
only known repository (ie Yast) you are safe.
Theoretically it is possible for an evil person to write a program
that installs a backdoor in your machine. Of course - it is not like
Windows where you just visit a website and get a dialler installed -
you have to really work at installing the trojan; typing in the root
password, maybe extracting the file and compiling etc.

I am not sure if RPM's can be made into trojans - the signature
verification (MD5-sum) and any security checks is something beyond me.

All in all, it is extremely safe browsing the net using Desktop Linux.
There is no self-installing attachments to worry about.
There is no known succesful exploits that I am aware of.
You often get security advisories (as the community constantly revise
the code); but that is a many miles away from actually someone
compromising your Desktop machine.

(I keep saying "Desktop" ... when it comes to Servers - the picture
changes completely. You get self-propagating worms, successful hacks,
etc)

Java is cross-platform and there a lot of neat applications that will
run almost the same in Linux and Windows (and Apple).

With Limewire try clicking an icon named RunLimeWire .. or LimeWire proper.
I am not on my machine so can't verify until I fix this one.

Provided you have Java Runtime Engine installed.
To run any java program you type
java -jar name.jar

There are a lot of neat apps in Java that also runs in Linux.
I will compile a list one day.
Java is great, but I never managed to learn how to program in it well.

To install Java
first type java in the console
if you get command not found.

Then you have to go to http://www.sun.com/java
Then click on downloads then J2se update
direct link is http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
But then you want to download only the Runtime Environment

So click where it says Download JRE 5.0 Update 5

Then download the Java Runtime Environment for Linux
Linux self-extracting file   	jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin

(this is long hehe)

then you have to type
chmod +x jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin
and as root
./jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin
and follow the instructions

BUT before anything make sure you have Java already installed.
I would be very surprised if Java did not come already installed and
set on your version of Suse.

Go to a site that has a Demo Java Applet (I don't know of any but here is one)
But browsing Sun I got this:
http://java.sun.com/applets/other/Hangman/index.html

If you see something than you already have Java installed
otherwise there will be a few admin typing.

Java is not open source - which is why most Linux Distributions don't
have it preinstalled.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk