[Gllug] pervasive computing - everything crashes

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Nov 2 16:55:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 16:22 +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On 2/11/2005, "Sean Burlington" <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >- and I'm fed up with my TV crashing - I keep having to reboot the set
> >top box...
>
> Ditto my Homechoice STB.  Useless phuckers.
>
> >Does anyone know which freeview STB brands/models have the best stability?
>
> Make your own from a MiniITX case and DVB-t card?  Chuck in a hard drive
> and you've got a PVR.

IME the fastest silent Mini-ITX (600 MHz) isn't quite powerful enough to
display DVB-T streams, even with the hardware acceleration on the video
output.  They can manage analogue TV but not DVB-T.  The result is
intermittent sound which makes them unusable.

I find the non-silent Mini-ITX options unsuitable because you have a
very small fan whizzing round which makes for a particularly pervasive
noise.

I'm still trying to find a good option for a silent (disk-less) PVR
playback box (recording and storage being handled by a server elsewhere
in the house).

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk