[Gllug] Home desktop PC rebuild with Linux?

James Durie james.gllug at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 24 06:41:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 23:43 +0000, Christopher Currie wrote:
> I have a 4-yr-old Mesh Athlon-1400 PC with newer 80 and 40 GB hard drives,
> dual-boot with Suse Linux 9.3 (and a legacy windows ME installation which I
> need to keep but don't use much). Motherboard keyboard connection is dodgy,
> so I don't want to risk going on using it.

If the keyboard connector is truly the only fault with the whole system
and you are generally happy with the speed of it. Then the simplest,
cheapest and fastest solution would be to buy a USB keyboard and avoid
using the dodgy keyboard connector.

if you boot into the bios you can check if there is support for USB
keyboards directly in the bios. With it the keyboard will function just
as you expect. Without it the keyboard would still work fine in linux
but would have no effect until the kernel had loaded all appropriate USB
drivers.

Cheers,
  James

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk