[Gllug] Raw Partitions

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Nov 24 00:56:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 06:05:47PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Christian Smith wrote:
> >What ioctls would be needed?
>

> Well, for one, unless I'm _really_ out of touch.  You can't write to a
> loop device.  File systems so mounted are read-only.  No?

No, not at all.  Loopback files are very commonly used with UML, for
example, which would not be possible if they wre read-only.  Several of
the small/demo Linux distributions use a loopback file for swap or as
somewhere to expand compressed filesystems into.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick