[Gllug] [OT] Technobabble

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Mon Nov 21 04:08:10 UTC 2005

On Nov 20, 04:54, David Damerell wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 Nov 2005, Jim Bailey wrote:
> >>Is that why China is so keen on the ever increasing use of motor cars
> >>there, a well-known clean technology?
> >What has that got to do with China ordering that new building have to be
> >more energy efficient.
>
> The point is that the idea that the Chinese are concerned about the
> environmental stability of their growth - at any rate, that they are
> concerned enough about it not to have ever-increasing emissions - is
> obviously false.

Actually it isn't I suggest that you read this article.

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/002312.html

The Chinese have made the connection between eco-design, sustainability
and efficiency.  Which translates in to productivity and profits in the
real world always has always will.

Despite your efforts to make this a bivalent debate I am trying to have
an informed discussion here about eco-design, energy production and
reduction.  I would also like to explore the influence of The Internet,
free software development and distributed networks on the sustainability
movement.

I will not fall into offering any defence of China, one of the most
brutal and internally oppressive regimes on earth.  However there are
things that China is attempting to do right as well.

http://worldchanging.com/archives/003728.html
http://worldchanging.com/archives/003475.html

> Hint; orders of magnitude more somewhat cleaner cars doesn't get you
> reduced emissions. That's rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

It not rearranging deck chairs, it one of many, many things necessary to
stop the destruction of the environment and create a world worth
bringing children into.

Governments, businesses, communities and people all need to make
changes, the benefits of doing so are becoming quite obvious.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2005/health.html

--
Peace Jim :-)

keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it
 -- George Santayana

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk