[Gllug] Discovery Day

David Reed David at aliada.plus.com
Fri Nov 11 15:27:08 UTC 2005

Jason Clifford wrote:

>In my opinion the right fix to this is to change the /etc/fstab file so
>that options for the line relevant to the windows partition sets a umask
>of 000 like so:
>
>/dev/hda1   /windows  vfat  defaults,umask=000   0 0
>
>This way any user with a login can read and write to the /windows
>partition without problems.
>

>Just so you know the Ubuntu people are going to fix this in the next
>release although they've not yet decided upon how they will do so.

Thanks for this hint, but I have seen this already. My problem is that
this is an excellent example but it refers to what is probably a typical
set up prior to the Ubuntu installation.  What I could not understand is
whether the first section of the line should refer to my first partition
/dev/sda1  or to /dev/sda6 which is the data partition I want to open
up. In which case, is the second part of the line "/windows" relevant ?
I have seen the examples in the guide that came with Breezy, but I did
not know how to apply them to my specific situation and, frankly, I
still don't.

However, I think that the really difficult hurdle is that posed by
trying install a distribution on the legacy IDE hard disks. No one on
this list seems to have come up with a solution. I watched with eager
anticipation when it was mentioned about ten days ago, but only Nix and
Tet even proferred a solution and then it all fizzled out. It is impossible?

David Reed
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk