[Gllug] pervasive computing - everything crashes

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Nov 2 16:34:19 UTC 2005

On 2/11/2005, "Lee, Paul" <paul at ma1.se> wrote:

>I notice those flat tv's in buses seem to crash a lot (crystaleyes?).

Nationwide ATMs regularly have various Windows error messages.  They
certainly won't be getting my money!

>Makes me wonder why they choose Windows for these things.

Because the people implementing it hadn't even thought there was
anything else.  Which is also why they're so poorly implemented: anyone
else would have used something more appropriate and _simple_.  Not
necessarily Linux.  Hell, even FreeDOS would be better.

I bet these ad display systems have something ridiculously innapropriate
like P4 processors and a gig of RAM driving them, when they could have
done it on tiny ITX machine.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk