[Gllug] Issues with Hotplug && Auto-mounting

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:00:49 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, Shakthi Kannan <cyborg4k at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- Henry Gilbert <henry.gilbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> > script to work on Slackware 10.2 (Linux 2.4.31) ..
>
> Any specific reason to use 2.4.x?

I managed to make the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem work on it.
Any other kernel I failed.
If I could be confident I could make it work with 2.6.xx then I would
go for that.
But I am kinda scared of breaking something I found hard making it work

> > If I reboot into another kernel (say Linux 2.6.14)
> > then I can at least
> > mount it by command.
>
> 2.6 kernel drivers use sysfs, and recent distros with
> these kernels have good hotplugging support. I will
> recommend using 2.6.
>
> Can you post output of "dmesg | tail -10" after you
> plug in your USB device running a 2.6 kernel? Also
> post the contents of your /etc/fstab file.
>
> SK

this is 2.4.x

dmesg | tail -10

PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
HDLC line discipline: version $Revision: 3.7 $, maxframe=4096
N_HDLC line discipline registered.
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 21:54:51 Nov 18 2005
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x46d/0x840) is not claimed by any active driver.

this is for /etc/fstab

/dev/hda2        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
/dev/hda1        /                reiserfs    defaults,noatime     1   1
/dev/hda3        /home            reiserfs    defaults,noatime     1   2
/dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       auto        noauto,owner,ro  0   0
/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0
devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0
none            /sys            sysfs           defaults        0   0
usbdevfs        /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs        defaults        0       0

cheers

Henry
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk